HEALTH DEPT. ANNOUNCES WARMING CENTERS
Extreme Cold Temperatures to Continue Into 2018
Perry Pulse photo
Shiawassee County Emergency Management and Shiawassee County Health Department are encouraging residents to prepare for the continued record breaking extreme cold temperatures that are forecasted through next week. Warming Centers, throughout Shiawassee County, are available and some will provide meals. It’s important to consider utilizing these resources if you have a need during the cold weather.
“The extremely cold temperatures may cause serious health conditions to anyone exposed for long periods of time, but most at risk are the elderly, young children and pets, stated Trent Atkins Shiawassee County Emergency Manager.” “Take time to check on your neighbors, dress warm, and have an emergency kit if you’re going to travel, says Atkins.”
The following Warming Centers are being offered to accommodate those seeking a climate controlled environment as space allows:
Salvation Army of Owosso - 302 E. Exchange St., Owosso
- Resources – Warming Center, Serve Lunch M-f 11-12, Closed Weekend & Holiday
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Durand Council on Aging- 8618 E. Lansing Rd., Monday through Friday
- Resources – Warm Center, Lunch at noon ($3 Donation over 60, $5 under 60)
- Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Owosso Council on Aging – 300 N. Washington St., Monday through Friday
- Resource – Warm Center, (60 and Older Meals, Noon M-F)
- Time: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Morrice Council on Aging – 101 W. Mason St., Monday through Friday
- Resources – Warm Center, (Meals M, W, F (noon – Reservations Required the day prior)
- Closed Weekends and Holidays
- Closed at 11am Tues/Thurs 517-625-1622 (Kim)
- Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, M,W,F
- Center Phone: (517) 625-4270
Shiawassee District Library Owosso branch – 502 W. Main St.
- Time: 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday; 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Saturday
Shiawassee District Library Durand branch – 700 N. Saginaw St.
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Friday; 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Saturday (Closed this weekend and will reopen on Tuesday Jan 2nd)
FREEWAY "A SOLID SHEET OF ICE" DRIVER SAYS
Crash On I-69 at Woodbury Road Snarls Afternoon Traffic
Facebook video shared with Durand Now captures image of Wednesday afternoon crash on I-69 at M-13/Brittani Paige A crash involving a semi and a small car tied up traffic on Wednesday afternoon on eastbound I-69 near the Woodbury Road exit. WLNS-TV says a Volkswagen Gulf ended up underneath a semi.
Eastbound I-69 has been slow or shut down in numerous places throughout the day as one driver called the freeway "a solid sheet of ice from Lansing to the Perry exit."